Any foodie heading to Paris soon? I am, woo hoo!! I'm currently doing some research for Mytinerary's Ultimate Paris Gourmet Experience (Sept 20-27 2010, more info soon) and I came across this list of the Top-10 Parisian bakeries for pains au chocolat. The list was voted by famous pastry chefs and the influential food critics at 'Le Figaro' national newspaper.
One of my favourite things to do whenever I go back home is to start the day sitting in a nice cafe, sipping at an espresso, reading the newspaper and eating a delicious pain au chocolat fresh out of the oven. Enjoy!
- Boulangerie Julien (Paris 1 - NB: for those not familiar with Paris, the city has 20 districts called "arrondissements", numbered 1 to 20, see Google map below for location of each bakery).
- Boulangerie Secco (Paris 7)
- Blé Sucré (Paris 12)
- Boulangerie Laurent Duchêne (Paris 13)
- Pierre Hermé Patisserie (Paris 6) - yes, the same place where you can get the world-famous macarons!
- Dalloyau (Paris 8)
- Boulangerie Eric Kayser (Paris 5)
- Fauchon (Paris 8). They have the most amazing chocolate eclairs as well.
- Boulangerie Stohrer (Paris 2)
- Boulangerie Malineau (Paris 4)
Obviously, there are many more great bakeries in Paris, but this is a good start! So tell me dear reader, are you more "team croissant" or "team pain au chocolat"??
View Top-10 bakeries for pains au chocolat in Paris in a larger map